Fifty one students of Mahrath Middle School in Halsi block of Lakhisarai district fell sick after eating the midday meal on Tuesday.
The children were rushed to Sikandra primary health centre (PHC) in neighbouring Jamui district after they vomited and complained of nausea , diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Sikandra PHC in Jamui is closer (4 km) to the school than the Halsi community health centre in Lakhisarai, which is 15 km away.
All children are said to be out of danger.
“The symptoms of food poisoning could be a ramification of water contamination or improper hygiene in food chain,” said Lakhisarai civil surgeon Ashok Kumar.
District officials promptly reached the school and rushed all the ailing children to hospital as the incident caused panic among the students and the staff.
Shobhendra Kumar Chaudhary, DM of Lakhisarai, said, “Administration has sent medical team and ambulance to Sikandara village. We have confirmed with doctors that condition of all the children is stable and out of danger.”